March 16, 2013

Book Review #4

I've really missed being able to read a lot recently. I'd love to have done the TBR March challenge (where you're challenged to read as many of your To Be Read pile as you can) but due to work commitments in the family business as well as my other job I've not had the time. However early in the week I had an early night and picked up my Kindle in the hope of finding something new to read. I didn't look very far and started with the first one on my To Be Read list!

For Sale in Palm Springs (Henry Wright Mystery #1) by Albert Simon

Here's the synopsis...
Retired police chief Henry Wright is now living in Palm Springs and is asked by his friend Wayne Johnson, a detective in the Palm Springs Police department to help solve a crime. Henry has been living as somewhat of a recluse since his wife passed away, but tracking down this killer brings him back to life. Follow his adventures as he travels around the state to solve this mystery.




So what did I think?

Well first off it's a great book if you're looking for a light read. It's pretty short at 161 pages and suited my busy lifestyle at the moment as it didn't have too many characters to remember (you know what it's like when you have a lot going on, keeping track of a complex book with a gazillion characters can be frustrating!). The book was easy to read and pretty light going, however I have to say I was a bit disappointed by it. I've said before that I'm a crime writers dream as I rarely figure out their twists and turns and whodunnit before they intend me to. I have to admit that, for me, this book was too straight forward. There was a distinct lack of twists or mystery and I figured out who did it, which I don't really like as I love the surprise of a well written mystery.

There are more novels in this series with the same protagonist and, while he was a likeable character, I don't think I'll be spending my hard earned pennies on any of the other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment :)